The rocket is just one prototype of what we have planned. It will be made in would with more LEDs and maybe even sound!
Each month’s kit will come with:
- A unique wooden puppet to color and light up. These won’t be available for purchase in our main shop for at least 6 months after they’ve been released to the kits.
- A new project ranging from a set of wooden pins that light up and beep to a wooden rocket ready to take off to a nightlight to a wand. Most projects will be constructed from laser-cut and etched wood ready to be painted or colored with markers and assembled. All projects will have enough room for kids to make something truly unique to them while learning to safely experiment with circuits.
- LEDs, conductive tape, resistors, battery holders, and whatever else is needed to bring the creation to life.
- Blog posts with a combination of pictorial and video instructions for assembling the kit as well as ideas for exploration and expansion.
The starter pack comes with:
- 10 resistors of different values (3×100, 2×220, 2×470, 2×2.2k, photo)
- 10 LEDs (1 each red, blue, green, yellow, white 3mm and 5mm)
- 4 capacitors (2200 μF, 220 μF, 33 μF, 0.1 μF)
- 555 timer
- 1 beeping speaker
- 1 bread board
- 1 AAA Battery holder that can be connected to the breadboard
- 1 wire cutters/strippers
- 2 alligator clips with male jumper ends
- 10 male to male jumpers
- 1 wooden puppet with tape to make it light up
- A blog post showing how to use all of these items for experimentation
It is not necessary to purchase the starter pack, but tutorials and kits will assume the presence of some or all of these tools.
Sibling Packs include all of the materials to make an extra stick puppet each month.
Kids should be comfortable with a glue gun or have someone in the house to help.
Future kits may include expansion ideas for adding a BBC Micro:bit as well. Once those are in-stock in stores we will have those available as well.
Starter pack will be ready for local delivery in time for Christmas. They should be ready to ship on December 19th. Kits will be delivered or mailed generally around the middle of each month. The first kits will be ready for mid-January.
We’re working on our subscription system. Right now we’re offering kits in 3 month subscriptions.