Heading into summer with covid still in the air I see two reasonable options for how we could proceed.
- We could cancel our camps so as to best facilitate and encourage social distancing. This is the stance PEEC has taken and we respect them for that.
- We can acknowledge that some parents are still trying to work from home and others need to actually go to their workplaces and need childcare even if it is less than ideal and we can provide that childcare as safely as possible. This is the path we will be taking.
The decision to continue to offer summer camp this summer is not a light one and it will come with some changes to our plans.
- We will no longer be offering individual weeks of camp. We want to reduce the number of camper everyone comes into contact with as much as possible.
- We *will* be offering half-day camp for the whole month.
- We *will* be spending our entire mornings through lunch outside. This means half-day campers will be outside all day.
- We *may* not use public transportation and instead have different base camps each day of the week.
- We *will* do a lot of hiking. We *will* play with robots, even if it is under a shade tent.
- We *will* be limiting camp in June to just five families. If there is enough interest in the half-day camp, we may offer a second session with a different teacher, but no more than five families will be in any group and those groups will remain separate.
- Geocaching! We’ll find a few and maybe even create some!
- I’m in the process of putting a few BreakoutEDU activities together. Maybe we’ll have a massive scavenger hunt to solve one of our boxes.
Our camp is for any kiddo entering elementary school next year. Campers must be able to take care of their own personal needs and be able to hike a couple of miles a day.
According to the current plan by the governor we should be able to open half-day camp on May 15th. We’re taking names for this camp, so please contact us if you are interested.
We’re also working on being deemed essential, so that if things close back down we can keep offering camp for essential workers. If we need to close or you are not an essential worker, we’ll offer refunds for any missed weeks of camp.
Please talk to us about any concerns you may have and we will work with you.
Sign up for camp here: https://lasteamlab.com/event/summer-camp-june/